Thursday, June 16, 2011

Change Login Screen Image on Fedora 14

       I checked the “/usr/share/backgrounds/” directory and found a “laughlin” folder. Inside it is a folder named “default” that contains three other folders named normalishstandard, and wide and a laughlin.xml file. The three folders contained the default login screen image. If you open the xml file with a text editor, you’ll notice that a part of it specifies the path of the Laughlin wallpaper. Wide, Normalish, and Standard specifies the image dimensions. And using this xml file, we can change the login screen image.


     

          Here’s what I did. First, I edited my image three times using the specified dimensions (this is optional) and saved them as PNG files. I then copied them to the three folders with respect to their dimensions.
[root@machine username]# cp /current/file/location/filename1.png /usr/share/backgrounds/laughlin/default/wide/
[root@machine username]# cp /current/file/location/filename2.png /usr/share/backgrounds/laughlin/default/standard/
[root@machine username]# cp /current/file/location/filename3.png /usr/share/backgrounds/laughlin/default/normalish/
Using vi, edit laughlin.xml and replace the filenames and save the file. See image below.

I logged off and there was my new login screen. I used a random Fedora wallpaper I got from the web. 

No comments:

Post a Comment